Posts tagged ‘runway hippie blog’
NYFW Photo Diary #2
I apologize for this wonky posting schedule, but I checked out for two days after Fashion Week. This brain needed rest.
But now I’m back. Brain turned on. Fingers ready for keyboard tickling. So without further ado, here’s a recap of NYFW round two (love when I accidentally rhyme).
Three of my favorite designers found themselves in my schedule for the last few days of Fashion Week. Olivier Theyskens of Theyskens’ Theory (doy), Georgina Chapman and Keren Craig of Marchesa, Francisco Costa of Calvin Klein, and of course, Lazaro Hernandez and Jack McCollough of Proenza Schouler. I’m convinced they save the best collections for last because let me tell ya, the pieces and trends I saw earlier this week — oversized jackets, dropped hemlines, fur and gold embellishments, Asian-inspired silhouettes — all came together and became official in the following collections. Proenza Schouler really nailed the whole oversize, kimono-esque pieces, while Theyskens’ Theory made gold work in a non cheesy, blinged out way. And as for Marchesa, those two ladies may as well be the fairy godmothers of ballgowns, creating things only maids-turned-princesses-by-way-of-magic could wear.
My fashion week ended with a Guns N Roses concert, which was a simultaneously awesome and weird way to end such a high-heeled, pencil skirt week. But I was perfectly happy to trade in my stilettos for a comfy t-shirt and jeans.
Here are some photos from the last few days (I cut it down to just my favorites otherwise you’d be scrolling for two hours of photos…):
Hooray for gold(en heels) and furry arm(pit)s!
Alice & Olivia
Stacey Bendet of Alice & Olivia sure knows how to throw a
party presentation. I only wish I could have attended in that green Beetlejuice suit
Once again Marchesa kills me with beauty. That red dress is what my dreams are made of…that and puppies
One of my favorite bloggers, Julie Sarinana of Sincerely Jules workin’ it on the runway
That’s a skirt people. A SKIRT!
Structured jackets. Powerful silhouettes. Fur bags. Woven leather heels. Proenza Schouler, you make my life complete.
The only somewhat focused photo I could capture. But just know this collection had Rooney Mara all over it (she was also in the front row. sha-wing!)
Nothing says the end of Fashion Week like a Guns n Roses concert…or does it?
A big thank you to Honey Suckle Chic for nominating me for the Beautiful Blogger Award!! It’s a complete honor to even be nominated! The blogger community is so wonderful and I am so happy to be a part of it.
For the “Beautiful Blogger” award you need to:
– Thank the person who nominated you and link to their blog.
– Copy the award and paste it to your blog.
– Tell us 7 interesting facts about yourself.
– Pass this award on to 7 fantastic bloggers you have discovered.
– Contact your nominations and let them know they’ve won.
Here are 7 interesting facts about me:
- I used to be a ballerina. I danced for 14 years starting at San Francisco Ballet School and later going to the National Ballet School of Canada. My plan was to dance professionally upon graduating from high school, but during a partnering class I was dropped and dislocated my knee and fractured my tailbone. I was told that I would never be the dancer that I could have been, so I decided to stop dancing and focus on my other interests. I will always miss ballet, but I am as happy as ever doing what I am now. Good things happen in mysterious ways!
- I am obsessed with the Discovery Channel and National Geographic. In another life I will be or was a scientist or archaeologist. When shark week comes around, I become glued to my couch. And, it’s no new news that I’m obsessed with the show LIFE (here). I find nature and all of its wonderful creatures FASCINATING. The only creatures that I could do without are snakes. Blech.
- Banana peels are a good luck charm for me. If I see one or two or ten on the street, it usually means that something good is coming my way. I realize that this is totally absurd to most people, but most people haven’t slipped on a banana peel…TWICE. Yes ladies and gentleman, I am not a cartoon and I have, in fact, slipped two times on a banana peel.
- My first concert ever was the Bill Graham Memorial: Laughter, Love, and Music. I was six years old and sat on my Dad’s shoulders holding a smiley faced balloon eating fried chicken. I saw Jerry Garcia play with the Grateful Dead, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Kris Kristofferson, and many more. I have a feeling that it is this incredible first experience that gave me my concert/music festival obsession.
- I have dressed up for Halloween every.single.year. of my life. My first costume was a lamb, and last year I was a fox. I usually start planning my costume months in advance, not because I end up with a something as intricate as say, Heidi Klum’s Hindu Goddess Kali, but because I can hardly contain my excitement.
- I have two older brothers and I love them to pieces. Even though we all live in separate cities (San Francisco, Boston, New York), I am extremely close to both of them and cannot imagine my life without them. Not only are they my brothers, they are my best friends.
- While I don’t think I could ever name one band as my favorite, here are a few that I cannot live without: Broken Social Scene, The Cure, Radiohead, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young.
Now for the best part! Here are my nominations!!
Francheska from Fashion Canvas
Ginnybranch from My Favorite Color is Shiny
Dominique from Le Français Parisien
Alice from Alice in Wardrobe Wonderland
Bits of Home
I am as much of a jet-setter as I am a home-body. While I enjoy going out to dinner and discovering new places just as much as the next person, I also love curling up at home, knowing that everything I need is right around me.
I find that after living in New York for two years, I’ve appreciated the comfort of my living space more and more. For me, one of the best feelings in the world is coming home after a long trip or an exhausting day at work and collapsing on my couch. New York has so much energy that at times it’s nice to be able to spend a night at home, wearing your pjs and snacking on whatever you have in your fridge.
Below are some pictures of one of my favorite places in New York… my apartment.
don’t stop til you get enough
one word: RODARTE RODARTE RODARTE RODARTE!
How amazing is that collection???!!!! Those Mulleavy sisters never cease to amaze me. EVER.
I also LOVE Chris Benz’s collection. I can’t believe how much fur we’re seeing this season though. Peta must be having a field day with this.
More coming! Stay tuned!
all photos via coutorture